Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Brett

Four weeks ago...I got the call. 
You were gone. My heart felt broken. 
Little buddy, though a month is past,
I don't forget. The pain isn't gone.
At the store the other day, 
I wanted to buy you something. 
Then I realized. You didn't need anything. 
You are in heaven. 
I've wanted to tell you things. 
And thought about seeing you soon in Haiti.
But again, I'm reminded you won't be there. 
B, it hurts. I want to hold you again.
One thing is certain, my darling,
I will ALWAYS miss you! 


 When you first came to us, so frail and small,
I was timid to hold you with tubes and wires and all.
Though I didn’t understand then what God would do,
With a precious little handicapped brother like you;
It is clearer now what God had in store;
You were an angel to us, and you gave us much more:
More, than we could have ever given to you.

You taught me bravery, with every painful surgery,
And how to press on and fight hard, with every round of therapy.
In those times we thought we were going to lose you,
You reminded me heaven, where we will rejoice with Him, made new!
And as I watched you minister and shed your love to others,
When you let the Haitians play with you or smiled at your brothers;
You showed me what it means to love unconditionally.

Contentment, joy, and love, flowed from you, Brett,
And all the times I held you; those times I’ll never regret.
You listened to my worries, while we snuggled close,
In our lives you were a constant, often when I needed it most.
And now my little angel, you’re work on earth is through;
At five years old your task is done, and now heaven awaits you.
Our hearts will ache for you, sweet one, but we rejoice that we will see you soon!  
Love your sister, Tess


4 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

    See you soon and very soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are great at writing your thoughts and feelings down on paper. So touching. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Tess, that was beautiful and so touching.
    ~trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words to Brett brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet angel he was!! Thank you for posting your thoughts!

    I enjoyed listening to the funeral service online and I even had a picture of Brett pulled up on the screen...in a very small way I felt like I was there.

    We love you guys and continue to pray for God to heal your broken heart.

    ReplyDelete