Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Old Midwest

*This is a LONG post...just warning ya!*
Dan and I arrived at Indy airport Thursday afternoon to a van load of smiling family! It was so good to hug them all again! That night Dan and I stayed with my siblings as mom had Bible Study. Joel is 3 and is talking! When we left Haiti in February, Joel was only saying a few words so it was amazing to come home to him speaking in full sentences! Brett has GROWN! He is such a chunk! Mark is 13 years old, wearing size 13 shoe and is pushing 6 foot. Oh, and his voice is changing... its crazy! Derek and Alisha are as adorable as always! Derek is still a daredevil and Alisha is getting more beautiful everyday. Oh, it was so good to see them!Friday night mom had both sides of my family over for supper. It was a great time to catch up and enjoy some time together.

The newest member of the Gutwein clan: Liberty Ann (AJ & Raquels)

Grandpa Gutwein and Alisha
Had to get my kisses in with B!
Saturday was a full day too! We met the Metz's for lunch at the Patio. Uncle David came from Chicago to see us!
First time seeing Mel...bride-to-be!
Sunday proved to be a beautiful day. The sun was shining and although it was hot out, and humid, it was gorgeous.

The happy couple! This is right after Mel literally jumped up and down in her dress giggling and shouting, "We're man and wife!!!!"
The other happy couple....but no, I didn't jump and down!
Sisters
It was such a beautiful wedding...especially since God was present.
Dani and me :)

Monday Dan and I headed off Illinois to see his side of the family. We were able to spend the night with Grandpa Hodel. This really gave me the chance to get to know him better. Boy, does he have some cool stories! Of course we ate at Caleri's (Caleb and Erin's cafe). My verdict: DELICIOUS! Erin, I'm just so bummed I didn't get a picture with you! Next time! We all had dinner together with Grandpa Monday night.
Tuesday morning, bright and early, Grandpa, Caleb, Dan and I, went fishing! This was after Grandpa made all of us blueberry and pecan pancakes! Dan and I haven't been fishing at all this past year so it was a welcomed experience!

Grandpa was so prepared: hot coffee!
Pro fisherman
Caleb bass fishing
No folks, I did NOT catch all those...haha...I think I caught the least of all!
:( Tuesday afternoon Dan and I wended our way towards the airport. And we had to say goodbye. I had been dreading that moment for a long time! But we did it! And thus started our phone conversations! I missed him SO much!!! (Rumor has it- he missed me too ;)
I had the chance to spend some time with old friends...and it was such a blessing. It is wonderful reconnecting with those who you can always pick right up with.

Kendra, Dani, and I
Mom had planned a large lake shindig at my grandparents lake house over Labor Day weekend. Though it was cold, we still had fun!
Oh how I missed her...mom
Cousins! AJ, me, Joy, and Raquel
A. Joan and Mark
Nick, Jason and Grandpa
So, once it finally warmed up enough to make the water look inviting, we loaded up into the boat. Derek and I were the first ones to fly across the water on the tube! Who knew bouncing around like a jumping bean could be so fun! Derek was a little unsure but he still enjoyed it!

But our fun was short lived...after enjoying this....
and this....
And this....

This happened. Yup. Our boat stopped working! Luckily, a police boat happened by and we got towed back! UGH!
Thanks to Nick and Sandra for getting their boat so we could keep up the water festivities! We really appreciate it!

Sunday, Mom, Alisha, Mark and I went to Bluffton for Dan and Abby's wedding...I'm so glad it worked out that we could make it!

Miss Regan
La fanmi

Abby was absolutely stunning. Seeing her again made me realize how much I have missed her. We spent so many hours in Haiti together...she is such a blessing!

Being without Dan for 6 days made me excited to board that plane again and see him! I came home to a spic-n-span house. He even hung the picture I've been procrastinating. Thanks babe. :)

The whole week and a half sped by. I praise God for the opportunity to visit family and friends! Each one of you is so precious...thanks for taking the time to spend it with Dan and I. Dad, you were missed! It wasn't the same without you...safe trip to the USA!

3 comments:

  1. Trust me, I sure enjoyed your visit too. It was nice to have a little time to get to know your hubby a little better. You really got a keeper!! Sure looking forward to seeing you both in just a little over a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoyed being with you too and like A. Joan said see you both in about a week. Glad you got back safe to your Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, love all the pics! I had so much fun catching up! Hope to see you in a couple months:) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete