Wednesday, January 19, 2011

So Here Begins a Hobby...

Maybe.

I'm not far enough along to know for sure, but on account of the ideas that have been rolling around my head for quite some time, I'd assume YES.

Sunday, Grandpa Leman asked if I knew how to sew and if I'd be willing to hem up some of Grandma's dresses...I answered a shaky yes...warning him it'd been a while since I've sewn!

So today I got the dresses...and marked where they needed to be hemmed at. When I arrived home, I started pinning. Not supposed to be a big deal right?!?! Haha. I'm not sure what is up. Either the hemline curves or the material was cut on the bias...or more than likely, something that I'm not even aware of is occurring. Because let me tell you, that hem wouldn't line up for nothing! (maybe some of you have the answer/advice!)

I'm thinking a 911 call to my mother-in-law is in order! (Especially since I'm realizing how rusty the sewing sills really are!)

But onto more jovial subjects. There was a bit of a deal cut out over the dresses. You see, I have no sewing machine. I've kept my eye out at garage sales and on the Internet...but so far, no dice. Meanwhile all the sewing ideas had to be kept roaming around my head. BUT! Grandma has a sewing machine that she doesn't use anymore. For the deal: Grandpa said I could use the sewing machine in exchange for the dresses and any other little things that come up! Whoohoo! Really quite generous of them! :) Since I was going to have to wait on the dresses until someone will refresh me and help me with those hems, I decided to practice a bit.

The beast herself...ta-DA!
The project: I've been wanting to make a grocery sack holder for quite some time...see why?
(pathetic, I know)
A little online research, some fabric from Mom L., and this relatively quickly appeared. A stick on hook from pre-married days and...
Ah...much BETTER!
So we'll see about that hobby...

3 comments:

  1. I like to sew...although I am no help with the hem... sorry! Great hobby though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, sewing. Something I wish I knew how to do!! I say keep it up! I have thought about making it a hobby too. My friend said I could borrow her machine. Don't really know if I will ever get into it or not. Great job on the sack bag:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are days I wish I had a sewing machine. Ive made some simple curtains and hemed few things, and well....I took many a years in 4H however...I really can't sew very good either. I have a small stack of clothes that are just waiting to be taken in so that I can wear them. Anyone want to do that for me??

    ReplyDelete