Friday, June 11, 2010

Garden Goodness!

Today is a beautiful sunshiny day...though there is a 60% chance of rain this afternoon. Can't say as I mind that prospect. I love rainy days and rain is a lot less plentiful here in Colorado than in the Midwest.

I went over to Mom and Dad Leman's to water some plants while they are away and while I was there picked some fresh produce from the garden! Dan and I, his parents, and brother are all sharing two gardens this summer. From the looks of it...we'll be having LOTS of fresh salads this summer!

Fresh lettuce, spearmint, onions, and radishes!

As I was heading home from getting the garden produce and groceries, I was about to turn right on to our street off of a main road, Chambers. Suddenly to my left there is a deer! Two of them! I was in the far right lane and the car to my left slammed on her brakes and thankfully the deer ran forwards a little until I got past before crossing the rest of the traffic. They then jumped CLEAR over a food 4-5 foot barbed wire fence (quite gracefully). They were so terrified. I guess I might be too. Chambers is a 6 lane road!!! Might heart was racing a bit after that...just glad they didn't get hit and cause a wreck!

Right now I'm reading "Christy". Many of you might have watched the TV/Movie series. Anyways...its about a young 19-year-old girl who moves deep in the Appalachian mountains to a mission. She becomes the school teacher to the dirty, Scottish/Anglo-Saxon children of that area. Anyways, Miss Alice is the head lady at the mission. She is wise and Christy really looks up to her. Excerpt: "I sat there entranced as I watched Miss Alice. I had noticed that in her presence often I would have big thoughts, ideas that went so far beyond my usual ones that they astonished me. It was not so much what Miss Alice said that sparked the thoughts, rather what she was."
*I read this and thought of my mom. She is one of those women...and growing up, I often sympathized with Christy's feeling here. Somehow my mom always spurred on thoughts in my head that seemed too big for me...sometimes I couldn't even understand them! I love you mom!

Dan works 8 to 8 today. Again, he got really good hours this week! All Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday mornings Dan and I were busy working on a building unit that needs cleaned and fixed up. We painted, cleaned, and fixed the needful items. It always amazes me how much a coat of paint does! Somehow it always makes me thankful to God for color. Reminds me of another book I read by Corrie tin Boom. When she got out of the concentration camp (WWII) she realized how starved she was for color! She gawked at the beauty of it!

Speaking of thankfulness...I've found myself in a state of it recently. Thankful for both Dan and I's godly parents. Thankful for a blessed marriage to a wonderul man. Thankful that I was raised in a godly home and that I have a relationship with Jesus Christ! To my chagrin, I find my self taking a lot of things for granted. How easy it is to focus on the negative without appreciating and fully enjoying the positive!

Well, that said, I'm going to go enjoy a cup of coffee...warmed up though it be. Love to you all!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... so I have this great idea that I will one day have a big garden with so many vegetables that I have no choice but to share the wealth. Then I remember that my thumb is beyond black I'm doing good if I can keep a plant alive for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, we take things for granted way too often.
    Love you dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tess! I am scanning some blogs tonight and came across yours. It's great to know you are doing well. We miss you! I loved the quote and thoughts about your mom. She is a special lady! God bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy yummy produce!! Miss you guys and always GREAT to read your blog. Just got back from vacation...had a super job. Im sure when I have time I'll be posting lots on the blog:).

    ReplyDelete