Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Blessed First Year...

...Of marriage to a wonderful man!

Yesterday was our anniversary and we had a lovely celebration. In the morning Dan studied for his final that afternoon while I helped my mom-in-law with some Christmas cookies. Then, we grabbed a bite to eat and headed downtown. Before Dan's final we went to REI where Dan got me some needed hiking shoes for my anniversary gift. (goodbye blisters!) After a stroll along the Platte, he headed to school to take his final. I went to the park and just chilled out...it was a beautiful day! (in the 60s!)

After school, we fed the meter and walked downtown admiring all the beautiful lights! It's all aglow down there! Dan found a few painted pianos and serenaded the surrounding passerbys with jolly Christmas carols.

Turned out that the place Dan had selected for dinner was totally reserved for a huge tennis group so we drove around until we ended up at "Salty Ritas"...a Mexican restaurant. Other than having my tongue so on fire that I couldn't taste much, it was good! :) On the way home we stopped at DQ for a "Oreo Cookie Jar" blizzard to share. Turns out, oreos and cookie dough make a pretty yummy combo! Thanks babe for a special day!

I love you!



Having reflected on marriage, and how I used to think it would be, I've concluded that it is way better than I ever could have imagined. I didn't really think of the fact that husband and wife really have the opportunity to become best friends. I didn't understand the term "soul mate" at all. But this first year has given me a glimpse! And having reflected some more, I don't know how marriage can be at all fulfilling or successful if God isn't woven in to make that strong three-fold cord. Christ can draw two people together (not just initially but life long as well) like nothing else can. And when a couple draw closer to Christ, they can't help but draw closer together!

Thanks to the Lord for giving me a wonderful husband...I don't deserve him! And thank you Dan for loving Jesus first and me second. You both take pretty good care of me! :)

December 13, 2009

6 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary..........one day late. Marriage is such a wonderful blessing and the wonderful thing is it just gets better and better even after 36 years and the ultimate glory goes to the One who joined us together in that "Three fold cord" union. Greetings to Dan's parents from both of us. John has such esteem for Dan's dad.

    Our love,
    Bev and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to email you yersterday and wish you a happy anniversay, but the day got away from me. I was thinking you and couldn't believe that a year has gone by! Time flies when your having fun, right:) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary Dan & Tess!

    Love the piano, how cool!

    Loved your reflections on Marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary to you both Wow one year already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you many, many more with Him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, not to ruin the mood or anything but Dan kinda looks like Jake in the wedding pic. And I enjoyed your comments Tess...


    -Herb

    ReplyDelete